Welcome to SPJ Leading Edge, a blog built just for chapter leaders. Youll find tools and information to help build, grow and sustain active and successful chapters, the very backbone of SPJ. Well highlight programs, provide best practices for things like finance and governance and answer some of the most popular leadership questions. Contact Tara Puckey, SPJ Chapter Coordinator, for anything and everything chapter related.
Archive for June, 2012
By Tara Puckey, SPJ Chapter Coordinator | June 21st, 2012
That’s it, folks! Soon, you can tear off the June calendar page and chuck it across the room. Another month down.
In that month, what did your chapter accomplish? Did you host a room full of new reporters and introduce them to the joys of everything FOIA? Was there a mixer to celebrate new members or those still hanging in there? Tell us what happened in June. Inquiring minds want to know.
We’ll share first. Here’s a list of some things we thought you should know for the weeks ahead:
- Maybe you missed it in Leads, so I’ll tell you again: SPJ is on Pinterest! Visual learning works best for some people, so we wanted to make sure they had something to break up the monotony of all those words. Best part? You can see all the great things chapters are working on around the world – video, audio and photo examples of everything SPJ stands for. History buff? Check out some of the photos we found from old conventions and events. We’re also pinning new items about EIJ12, so be sure to follow us.
- Are you getting your chapter excited about Excellence in Journalism? Your SPJ Membership just broadcast an inside peek at EIJ12 – including tips and tricks about attending dynamite sessions, early-bird pricing and the location. In case you didn’t know, it’s sunny Florida, right on the beach. Share the show with your chapter members so they are prepared for sun, sand and journalism, of course.
- President John Ensslin is holding a series of virtual Town Hall meetings over the coming weeks. He’ll chat with each region about questions, concerns and everything SPJ. Make sure your chapter is well informed by attending one of the scheduled meetings.
- Elections for national officers will be conducted in a new way this year – one member, one vote. Encourage all your chapter members to visit SPJ’s Election Central, where we explain the changes and the process. It’s also the location where you’ll find information about candidates (coming soon) and view the updated Campaign Guidelines. Most importantly, ask each of your members to update their email address with headquarters.
- Speaking of updating – here’s the most important part of this post, so if you haven’t read anything up to this point, you should start now.
The Leading Edge is a tool for chapter leaders. Leaders aren’t necessarily defined by their title, so to me (a humble Chapter Coordinator), I think anyone you view as a leader within your chapter should be receiving this information, which comes in email form beginning again in July.
The catch? Headquarters has to know that they’re a leader. The first “new” Leading Edge (with a nifty new look, if you’ve received previous editions) will go out in July so send your leadership contact information today. Or call me with it at (317) 927-8000, ext. 215. Smoke signals, Morse code or Pony Express are all okay, too.
There, you can stop reading again – if you pat yourself on the back for volunteering your time, energy and effort into journalism and SPJ. We appreciate you!
By Tara Puckey, SPJ Chapter Coordinator | June 18th, 2012
As a leader, it’s your job to make sure that your members have all the information they need to take advantage of the great things SPJ offers.
So make sure that you know everything there is to know about Excellence in Journalism, coming up in September. Tune in live today at 1 p.m. EST or listen later on demand to Your SPJ Membership: Excellence in Journalism 2012 Preview.
On this episode: Join Join National Membership Committee Member and Your SPJ Membership Host Sarah Bauer, as she chats with 2012 Convention Chair Sonny Albarado. We’ll talk about what you can expect to see at the Excellence in Journalism 2012 Convention, September 20-22 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. We’ll also give you the low-down on registration, hotel accomodations and how you can take advantage of early-bird pricing! Tune in! If you’d like to call in and participate in the show, the call-in number is (347) 857-2441.
By Tara Puckey, SPJ Chapter Coordinator | June 12th, 2012
John D. Rockefeller said this about leadership:
Good leadership consists of showing average people how to do the work of superior people.
As the leaders of SPJ, you’re doing just that. But it’s not always an easy task and help is, well, helpful – so here’s a quick resource:
A sample Membership Form for Campus Chapters, provided by the Texas Tech chapter, can help to find out what type of volunteer work interests your members, to keep in-depth records for historical purposes and to celebrate important dates, i.e., graduation, years of membership, etc.
Do you have a leadership resource that might help other chapters? Share it with us!
By Tara Puckey, SPJ Chapter Coordinator | June 6th, 2012
More than 40 SPJ leaders from around the country converged in Indianapolis this past weekend for training, tips, tests and… duckpin bowling – all part of the 17th annual Ted Scripps Leadership Institute.
The Institute is named for Ted Scripps, grandson of the founder of The E.W. Scripps Company. The funding is provided through the Scripps Howard Foundation by Ted’s sons, Edward W. Scripps Jr. and William H. Scripps, as a way to honor their father’s memory.
Participants attended a mix of sessions focused on interpersonal and organizational leadership skills, as well as sound chapter management practices. Chapter leaders shared ideas with other chapters, large and small, and spent some time alone to gather their thoughts and formulate a plan for success.